Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Oh Canada



Things I liked…..

Dinner at the top of the CN Tower- The view across lake Ontario and over Toronto is like nothing I’ve ever seen.

Distillery District – With a name like this you have to like it right!!! Reminded me of the 3rd ward in Milwaukee. Also has an outstanding Sunday brunch at Hot House. Everything from custom omelets to beef and mushroom pastry to lasagna and prime rib.

The People – Canadians were very friendly. The city is a little more layed back than say Chicago. However, it is definitely busier on weekdays than weekends.

Not So Great....

The U.S. Dollar – remember when the dollar was worth like 1.40 Canadian. Not anymore, it’s worth 1-1 most places and at the airport they screw you even more. This definitely makes things more expensive.

Kensington Market – I had read that this was a cool market and I suppose it is if you are trying to score some heroin or any other narcotic. Ethan Hawke circa Reality Bites would feel out of place here. The best way I can describe it is Madison’s State Street mixed with a Latin American street market. Throw in the neighborhood that the police created in the 3rd season of The Wire (you know the one where they funneled all the drug trade to) and a splash of Lord of the Fly’s type survival. I felt like I needed a shower after walking 2 blocks.

4 comments:

Paul said...

Cool, now I know another place to buy heroin! BTW, Milwaukee boy, the best restaurant in Green Bay (and it's only 5 star) just opened a sister restaurant in downtown Milwaukee--Hinterland. If you go, ask to talk with the head chef, Kelly Qually and tell him you're my friend.

BirchWest said...

Scot, you're right, the Kensington Market is known for its heroin but don't discount their crack. It has a nice bouquet, with a velvety finish. It goes well with a half eaten dumpster Big Mac.
Love,
Uncle Tom

Pa'GI said...

Sounds like the East side of Green Bay. . . and Paul, when you say the best restaurant in Green Bay - that might be a 3 star in Milwaukee, right? Hinterland is pretty good though. It's no Nitty Gritty though.

Uno Americano Bueno said...

Okay, I know where Hinterland is, in fact my friends office is located in the same building. I was actually there visiting the day that they delivered all the liquor.

For anyone that doesn't know it's located in the 3rd ward. Can't remember the street, but it's right off of Water.