Friday, May 30, 2008

The word is....

I live in Milwaukee, the Brewers are home tonight but I had a charity obligation, I'm 36 years old, and my wife is 6 months pregnant. So when she's flipping through the channels and stops at the national spelling bee being held in HD on ABC on a Friday night I bite my tongue.

It's only about 2 minutes before the unintentional comedy has me laughing and offering my fake commentary.

Seriously, for anyone that reads Bill Simmons at ESPN's page 2 this event is just screaming for a play-by-play like he does with the NBA draft.

Some noteworthy questions from my 20 minutes of viewing...

The 13 year old competing for the 5th time? Was she really in this thing for 5 years or is there like A, AA, AAA and then the show?

How is this in HD and I can't even get the Wisconsin Badger games on want on any channel?

Why was there a camera man wearing Under Armor gear? Why were there multiple camera men?

What was Erin Andrews reaction when her bosses told her she would be working the sideline here?

How can a 12 year old boy spell any words when he's looking at Erin Andrews?

Do you really need to name your home school? Wouldn't it just be your address?

If you are 12 and need to shave isn't that a disqualification?

Final thoughts, to really spice up the show there needs to be more trash talk. No more of this clapping for your opponent. I want some smack, maybe some chest bumping. How about the winner giving an impromptu moon following the victory word?

The word is hairbrained. "Can I have the definition? Can I have the origin? Are there any other pronunciations? Can I have the origin again? Can you spell the word? No, okay.... I-A-M-S-C-R-E-W-E-D."

No comments: